Free Internet

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Morphing Sculpture

The Morphing Sculpture by Sasun Steinbeck is one of the most amazing pieces of Second Life artwork. It has fired my imagination since the first time I saw it morphing in a gallery over two years ago.

Ms. Steinbeck is a well-known scripter in Second Life and has been involved in SL since the September 2005. She entered Second Life wanting to create something that was truly unique to Second Life. This project took 2 years to complete, however the results are amazing, stunning, and beautiful.

My first view of this was the Summer of 2007. My neighbor on the first private estate my wife bought had one in her front yard. The sculpture was twirling on the lawn and it teased me into touching it! I was playing with it and our neighbor came out of the house. My wife and I apologized for playing with it, but our new neighbor said, no worries, it's why we bought it--it's a great icebreaker with our neighbors!

What is a Morphing Sculpture? Sasun Steinbeck says: "I wanted something very beautiful to look at, as well as fun for owners to play with. SecondLife gives us all amazing control over the shapes of the prims that we work with - but I wanted to make something that would create beautiful, complex, and unexpected shapes completely on it's own, as if it were a living thing, morphing into completely different shapes with every touch."

This is a 3-D medium that changes shapes, colors, and induces peace and tranquility when used with soft music. It can be adjusted to be as big or small as you wish it to be depending on how you want to use it.


When trying to photograph this wonderful piece of art, I had to find a setting and color that would allow for the delicacy as well as the robustness of this sculpture to come through. Imagine that each of these designs spins, changes colors, and then morphs into the next shape. These five shapes are only a few of the many varied shapes and colors this sculpture can be.

Additionally, the sculpture has a particle element, can glow, and change the asymmetrical angle in which it morphs. The owner can also change the spin speed to fast or slow it down, change the texture, and change the music selection.

This wonderful sculpture is one prim and sells for L$4000. In this Curator's opinion, I should have bought it when it was L$2500!

No comments:

Post a Comment