Free Internet

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hidden Art, Part One

Tonight brought back memories of my initial reaction to Second Life Art. There is the open and obvious art, the statuary, paintings, drawings, sculptures, and then there is a hidden art that we all take for granted.

Scripts. Scripts are the hidden art in Second Life. Why? Because they run in the background making our lives easier, fun, and interactive. The people who have the ability to script are the unsung heroes of Second Life. Have you ever been asked, "Who do you know who scripts?"

Most people can't say a single name. Fortunately, I can say I know quite a few scripters who are brilliant at their craft and I know that they are among the many, Susan Steinbeck of the Morphing Sculpture fame and RacerX Gullwing of the Great Snail Races fame, Outy Banjo, who really needs no introduction, Drathon Montague, Digital Knight specializing in scripted art for your home, and Papo Lungu of Papo Lungu Custom Choppers!

Think about it, everything that moves from your Avie to the tree swaying in the wind is powered by a script. Have you seen a script? It reminded me of algebra and wow, I admire anyone who can decipher the script and then build it into a new script making something completely different:

default
{
state_entry()
{
llSay(0, "Hello, Avatar!");
}
touch_start(integer total_number)
{

llSay(0, "Touched.");
}
}

It is a special formula that makes your ao, guns, battle huds, and doors to open. Is it art? I know it is! I am in awe of the people who are so creative that they make such a beautiful piece of art work, hidden from obvious view of the denizens of Second Life who take them for granted that moving objects are just there!

I love the scripts that I use and I appreciate some nameless scripter who quietly put a string of words and numbers together so I can have my exploding volcano, my gestures, and my snow!

Scripts are truly the hidden art of our world! Join me for part two of this series and discover the other hidden art of Second Life!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I recognize at least one of those names.... ;)

    -Drath

    ReplyDelete